We urge all women to have a bag packed before you go into labor. The following are the items we recommend you bring to the hospital.
- Nursing bra.
- Lanolin ointment (we like the Lansinoh brand which is smooth and easily applied.)
- Slippers and socks.
- Personal comfortable clothes or PJs. Remember it will get a bit messy during delivery so the hospital will have gowns you can use as well.
- Small portable fan to cool off during labor.
- Bottle of mineral oil or vitamin E with a safflower base. We use these oils to slowly stretch and expand the vaginal area during pushing. Some hospitals may have it available.
- Toiletries (shampoo, conditioner, soap, toothpaste, and a hairbrush). Hospitals provide these but most women prefer their own brands.
- Personal CDs or an iPod.
- Camera, video camera or any type of recording device.
- Birthing ball.
- Birth plan, if you have one.
- Insurance card, if you haven’t pre-registered.
- Pillows for you and your partner.
- Lip moisturizer.
- Infant car seat. Do not pinch pennies here. We recommend the Graco for newborns and Britax when they’re a bit older.
- Neck support pillow for the car seat.
- Infant mittens. Babies tend to scratch themselves with their fingernails.
- Infant nail clippers.
- An outfit to take the baby home in.
- Receiving blankets.
- A kimono-type top and hat.
- Bottles and formula.